About the conference scholarships:
CAPLAW is pleased to offer the Robert M. Coard and Winston Ross Emerging Leaders Scholarships for the 2017 National Training Conference. The scholarships were created by the CAPLAW Board of Directors in memory of two Community Action pioneers whose advocacy for low-income individuals spanned decades, and whose leadership on the CAPLAW board guided the organization from its early days. Robert Coard served as CAPLAW’s founding president from 1989 until 2009; Winston Ross served as the organization’s president from 2009 until 2015. Apply by April 14, 2017!
Who is eligible for a scholarship?
An individual must meet the following requirements to be eligible for a scholarship:
- Nominated by the executive director of his/her organization
- Attending the CAPLAW National Training Conference for the first time
- Must be from a CAA that is a CAPLAW member (CAPLAW board members' CAAs excluded)
- Served in Community Action for 3 or more years or is a current CAA board member
- Possesses professional responsibilities in compliance, governance, human resources or finance, or other areas requiring legal or financial knowledge
- Represents an emerging leader in Community Action
What do the scholarships cover?
Each scholarship covers the 2017 conference registration fee and a reimbursement to the scholarship recipient's CAA for up to $1000 in actual, documented travel expenses associated with the scholarship recipient's conference attendance (airfare, hotel, ground transportation, per diem).
How do I apply for a scholarship?
To apply for an Emerging Leaders Scholarship, please complete the 2017 scholarship application form accompanied by the additional required materials (below). Remember that a scholarship applicant must be nominated by his or her organization. Electronic submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 14, 2017.
Scholarship application required materials include:
- Completed 2017 scholarship application form
- Nominator recommendation letter: Please provide a brief recommendation letter describing how the nominee has demonstrated leadership within community action. How will he/she benefit from attending the 2017 CAPLAW National Training conference? How will your organization benefit from what the nominee will learn at the conference?
- Copy of applicant's current resume